The APQP Engineer (Bilingual Japanese/English) is responsible for the overall quality and development milestones delivery as specified by the Customer. The APQP Engineer will be the primary customer contact regarding APQP and Part Approval issues. This includes the ramp up and readiness of the Fujitsu Ten manufacturing plants for current and new production, managing and coordination changes after SOP with cross functional team and leading IPQM and Launch Preparation activities. They will maintain a direct customer relationship with the appropriate customer contacts (Engineering, Quality, Supplier Quality, etc..) and have overall ownership of the APQP schedule.
Major responsibilities of the position are listed below. To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to execute each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties, assignments and specific projects may be assigned at the discretion of management. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Leads, guides, and participates in Advanced Product Quality Planning activities to assure safe launch of new products.
- Attends customer and internal program related meetings (e.g., PDT, change coordination, etc.) and reports status of APQP (PPAP) deliverables.
- Maintains quality/manufacturing open issues matrix for customer and internal meeting activities.
- Coordinates, schedules, and moderates global meetings to assure completion of APQP (PPAP) deliverables.
- Reviews data obtained during all program related quality assurance activities to ensure consistency with company policies and procedures.
- Build and manage customer relationships at an engineer and manager level
- Build and maintain a customer interface team to support this relationship and manage the overall program changes and development
- Ensure overall success of the product launch and production changes after SOP (i. e. work with Sales, manufacturing, PM and QA etc.).
- Manage program risk proactively from IPQM standpoint, identify program risks and coordinate meetings with F10 cross functional team to address risks before they become issues.
- Be able to provide program status summary if needed and represent the program internally at quality reviews.
- Be the primary escalation point for both internal and external program communications
- Responsible for tracking and reporting progress of production changes for current programs to both the customer and within the company. Support Sales monitoring change at manufacturing plant and work with Production control managing breakpoint at customer plants.
- Responsible for communicating the customer APQP requirements within the organization and interface with multiple groups within to ensure customer’s requirement expectations are being met.
- Responsible for submitting all necessary Part Approval (PPAP, PA, ISR…) documents, maintaining parts status on Customer portal (GQTS, NARS) and update system when needed. Coordinate changes with customer SQEs and F10 manufacturing team.
- Responsible for Customer Gate Review completion based on customer requirements.
- Work with F10 team (QA/sales/PM) to gather necessary information.
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred Qualifications & Desired Competencies:
- Expertise in driving projects and program deliverables
- Analytical thinking
- Drive for Results, Team Player, Change Orientation, Customer Focus, Self-Awareness
- Experience leading cross-functional teams.
Education and Experience:
Four-year college degree or equivalent in a technical field such as Quality or Engineering. PM experience and QA experience in an automotive related industry. Strong coordination and communication skills. Experience in successfully handling customer relations.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret automotive APQP documents. Ability to respond effectively to customer complaints. Ability to write technical information industry standard language and terminology. Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on corrective action or APQP related topics to various internal or external audiences.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. SPC and Six Sigma desirable.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations related to duties. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge and proficiency in Word Processing software, Spreadsheet software and databases.
- Exceeding Customer Expectations-Provides timely and professional service to both internal and external customers; is responsive to customer needs and requests; is always courteous to the customer and considers the needs of the customer when making decisions. Has sufficient knowledge of products and services and helps customers enthusiastically; communicates well with customers and follows up as necessary; is always professional and represents the organization positively.
- Communicating Effectively-Shares useful information with the team. Provides insight and offers knowledge and experience. Listens and involves others. Clearly conveys ideas in a manner that engages others and helps them understand and retain the message. Changes interpersonal style and approach based on circumstance or audience; works hard with all kinds of people and workgroups; does not judge others.
- Delivering High Quality Work-Makes sure responsibilities central to the role meet all requirements and expectations. Finishes tasks promptly and critically reviews work to ensure quality and accuracy.
- Results Orientation-Can be counted upon to successfully execute on goals. Acts on his/her own without being prompted; handles problems independently; able to resolve issues without relying on extensive help from others; does more than is expected or asked.
- Accountability-Follows through on commitments; lets others know his/her true intentions. Takes accountability for delivering on commitments; owns mistakes and uses them as opportunities for learning and development; openly discusses his/her actions and their consequences both good and bad.
- Building Fostering Teamwork-Is an honest and dependable team player who contributes to group collaboration and consensual decision making and shows empathy and respect for others. Builds and maintains good working relationships.
- Continuous Improvement-Uses formal and informal tools and techniques to achieve operational excellence. Maintains a constant focus on efforts to improve performance, quality and efficiency of work processes.
- Displaying Technical Expertise-Keeps his/her technical skills current; effectively applies specialized knowledge and skills to perform work tasks; understands and masters the technical skills, knowledge, and tasks associated with his/her job; shares technical expertise with others
- Critical Thinking-Skilled at finding logical flaws in arguments and plans; identifies problems and solutions that others might miss; provides detailed insight and constructive criticism into problems and complex situations
Profession Specific Competencies-IPQM:
- Making Accurate Judgments and Decisions-Bases decisions on a systematic review of relevant facts and information; avoids making assumptions or rushing to judgment; provides clear rationale for decisions
- Demonstrating Initiative-Takes action on his/her own without being prompted; handles problems independently; able to resolve issues without relying on extensive help from others; does more than is expected or asked
- Acquiring Information-Consults with others on problems and activities; collects information from a range of sources to assist and guide job activities; asks effective questions to obtain information to help him/her perform their job.
This position is for our client who is a Tier One supplier. It is a direct hire position with our client. Please note in this position candidates will be working onsite in Novi, Michigan. Candidates MUST be fluent – speak/write/read – in BOTH English AND Japanese.